Friday, October 23, 2009

Oh Deer!!!

First of all - don't forget about the Ghost Story Contest going on over in the Knit Witch group on Ravelry. You have until October 31st at midnight to enter the contest. We have already gotten some great stories!!! I even put one of my own up the other day. The contest rules and regs are in the first post so check that out for all the details.

The other day Wayne was walking over to the computer to put some bowls on the site. All the sudden I hear him whisper - "BRITT - get over here QUICK!". So I run over to the window where he is looking out to see this at the top of our driveway:










A mama and her two babies. Everyone looks pretty well-fed don't you think?!?! How cute are they?!?! This is the first time we have seen deer actually on our property. We have seen a few of them around but never on the property. We really don't seem to have that many around us considering where we live. Maybe there are just plenty of woods around here for them so they don't have to come out into the open too much, ya know?

Anyhow, I am very glad that Petey was not outside as he probably would have freaked out and run down the driveway barking at them and scaring the poor things to death. He wouldn't have hurt them - just barked. I would love to see the look on the cats faces when they encounter deer. I bet their eyes get as big as saucers.

A couple of weeks ago we were out on our walk on the mountain behind our house. All of the sudden Wayne says "STOP - don't move!". I looked up and at first I didn't see anything but then I saw that there was a doe and fawn standing right in front of us on the road! We just stayed still and watched them. They didn't seem too terribly alarmed - they just walked across the road and made their way back into the woods.

Interesting though how sometimes it takes your brain a minute to see things that are clearly right in front of you. I always find that fascinating and wonder what else we miss because we don't think it is "supposed" to be there - know what I mean?

I hope everyone has a great weekend and I hope you are coming to see us at SAFF!!!

1 comment:

judith said...

I'm taking it you haven't lived in the country very long.... (I'm fairly new to your blog.) Soon you'll be noticing all kinds of wildlife, once you learn what it looks like out in the wild. I wish we had some deer in our yard, we've got acorns out the wahzoo. I miss living in the country, we've even had coyotes come up to the back door looking for handouts.